The Vermont State Police disseminate press releases for significant criminal or public safety incidents and arrests, but it is not intended to document every public contact or response to a call-for-service. If you have a question regarding an incident or case, please contact your local state police barracks or the public information officer. Please note press releases are available on this blog for 6 months following their public release. Please contact the public information officer if you need access to one that is older.

Search This Blog


May 4, 2016

Press Release

CASE#: 16D301456
TROOPER: Detective Sergeants Todd Ambroz, John MacCallum of the Vermont State Police, Assistant Fire Marshals Paul Cerutti, Joshua Maxham - Division of Fire Safety.                                                             
CONTACT#: 802-878-7111
DATE/TIME: May 4, 2016 @ 12:46 AM
LOCATION: 17 Main Street, Randolph

SUMMARY OF INCIDENT: On May 4th, 2016 at 12:46 AM the Randolph Fire Department responded to 17 Main Street in Randolph for a report of smoke coming from the building.  Smoke was noticed by a motorist driving past the building, which is located directly off of Main Street.  The fire was fought for several hours by the Randolph Volunteer Fire Department.  Randolph Fire Chief Collette contacted the Vermont State Police and Division of Fire Safety to have an origin and cause investigation completed.  At 8 AM four Fire Investigators from the State Police and Division of Fire Safety arrived to begin their investigation. 

The cement building was built in the early 1920's and had a Chinese food restaurant and a Barbecue restaurant on the first floor, and a sporting goods and gun store on the basement level.  The fire was determined not to have caused any damage in the basement area of the sporting goods store.  This particular area did receive extensive water damage from the efforts of the fire fighters attempting to extinguish the blaze on the floor above.  The entire building is approximately 4000 square feet. 

A thorough examination of the building led investigators to the first floor where it is believed an electric wood burning meat smoker located in the Barbecue restaurant was most likely the cause of the fire.  The fire spread quickly into the wide open crawl space above the two restaurants and consumed most of the trusses, rafters, support beams, and ceiling above the first floor.  The fire is not considered suspicious and has been determined to be an accident due to issues with the barbecue wood smoker.  Preliminary damage estimates are believed to be approximately $400,000. 

Detective Sergeant Todd Ambroz
A-Troop Fire Investigation Unit
Williston, VT 05495
Office 802-878-7111
Fax 802-878-2742